Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Thanksgiving and Breastfeeding Don't Mix!

To all my wonderful nieces who breastfeed. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would be a terrible Aunt if I didn't warn you...

The main seasoning in Thanksgiving Day foods is Sage (turkey, stuffing, potatoes, squash, yams...). However, Sage dries up breast milk faster than you can say "Mississippi." As an herbalist, I often recommend the use of Sage for mothers who want to or need to stop nursing. As a home-birth midwife, my advice is to run the opposite direction if you see Sage. (I have heard stories of milk drying up from just the smell of Sage. However, I don't have first hand experience with this, and you know how stories can be.)

If you are preparing the dinner, please...please...please do not use "poultry seasoning" or anything else with Sage in it. If you are going somewhere for dinner, see if you can make alternate meal arrangements especially for you.

I know first hand the special bond that nursing brings to both mother and child. I would hate for that to be damaged by a "good meal."

I love you all! Happy Thanksgiving!!
Aunt Beverly

4 Comments:

Blogger Rabecca said...

Sage is in all of that?

7:16 AM

 
Blogger Beverlynne said...

Rabecca, I will guarantee that sage will be used in the preparation of the Turkey, dressing, and gravy. Anything else is up to the cook. Please check with whoever is preparing the meal. You are going to Sarah and Curtis' right? Make sure she gets this information too!

Sage is used in different seasoning combinations such as "Poultry Seasoning," so make sure to read the ingredient labels!!!!!

Aunt Beverly

1:15 PM

 
Blogger Drummdown said...

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I was hoping I was able to go all out this season, but now I'll make sure when I go "all out" Alexa and I don't use sage when we make the feast.

What would we all do without Aunt Beverly. The one with all the answers and the advice. :) Life is always that much more comforting.

P.S. Aunt Beverly, left your shoes at my house. I didn't notice them (with all the other shoes we have) that they might've been yours. Mom's taking them to Colorado to give to Rabecca.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Rockwood said...

rabecca we arent using seasoning for our turkey and we might have it in our stuffing but we are going to have potatos i think we will be safe. but we will double check.

10:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home