Vanpool Philosophy
I ride in a vanpool daily for an hour down to Ogden and an hour back to Logan. One person, Mike, prides himself on being philisophical, while another, Paul, prides himself on being a strong unwaivering pillar stuck in his own ways. Yesterday our topic of conversation was music. Can all types of music be considered music? For example is RAP music considered music, or is only country blue grass? Is a child banging on pots and pans be considered music? To the mother with a deaf ear it is. They never decided if RAP music can be considered music, but they narrowed music down to a couple of bands including the following:
Rush, Chicago, Led Zepplin, not country, maybe Elvis and the Beatles, and not punk.
Notice I said "they" because I practically disagree with them on all points, but its always worth a good conversation. I think there are many types of music, just because you don't like one type of music does not mean everyone does. I can't stand POP music, because it is stamped out by the "poupular culture template", which is a common recipe or set of steps to produce and sell music, but POP music sells the most in the world. I like inspiration, creativity , and something new when I listen to music, and it does not fit the mold, it does not conform to the "popular culture template" therefore most people do not consider the music I listen to as music at all. This is why we have genera's in music, movies, books, entertainement, and society.

3 Comments:
You should one day bring in a CD, and see if they would like it! Do you guys have a cd player? If so, wouldn't that be funny? You should bring in something werid! And lets see what they would say.
12:33 PM
I think Pop music can possibly turn into something that you enjoy now so be careful what you say buddy!!! Not that I love pop at all!
4:53 PM
Music is all things to all people ;o)
1:17 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home